Defence Support Industry Awards
The Minister's Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry
The Minister’s Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry recognises the outstanding contribution NT businesses are making to support Defence, while at the same time improving the delivery and reputation to grow the Territory defence support sector
Defence and Prime Contractors in the NT are invited to nominate a Territory business to recognise the outstanding contribution being made in providing capability to support Defence in the Territory.
The winner of the Minister's Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry will receive $5000 towards improving business processes.
The selection panel may also give out a Minister's Special Recognition Award for nominations that deserve special mention.
The Innovation and Young Achiever awards will be presented by the Australian Industry and Defence Network NT. For more information, go to the AIDNT website.
NT based Defence units and Prime Contractors can nominate a business that meets the following criteria
- small to medium-sized business
- based in the NT
- have worked in the defence industry for at least two years or either:
- achieved a defence-related contract for the first time within the past two years
- initiated a defence support capability that will benefit the industry as a whole.
DefenceNT staff will contact nominated businesses to arrange a site visit to discuss the business's achievements.
Nominees will be assessed according to their activities in relation to growing their Defence support capability or that of the industry including
- seeking out business opportunities from defence decisions
- applying business and workforce development initiatives
- developing strategic partnerships
- raising the profile and reputation of the NT defence support industry
- mentoring and developing future industry leaders
- investing in equipment or infrastructure to increase capability and capacity.
The following businesses were recognised in the 2020 awards:
Minister's Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry
The winner of the Minister’s Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry was SAGE Automation.
SAGE is an Australian sovereign manufacturer and control system integrator who has been in the NT for more than a decade. SAGE now have a team of 30 across the NT undertaking more than 10,000 hours of work on Defence assets each year.
Major projects, including the RAAF Base Darwin Fuel Farm 3 and Fuel Farm 7 Control System Upgrade meant SAGE was maintaining the project schedule and compliance of the RAAF Base Darwin Fuel Facility during a global pandemic. Due to Covid, SAGE had to adopt and develop a visual commissioning training method to teach local Defence personnel how to use the Fuel Farm control panel.
SAGE’s increased involvement with Defence has contributed to the channelling of new infrastructure, business partnerships, training and bringing human capital to the region.
AIDN-NT Innovation Award
The winner of the Innovation award was SPEE3D.
SPEE3D has designed and built metal 3D printers that enable the most affordable metal additive manufacturing process in the world. In November 2019, the Royal Australian Navy announced a $1.5 million investment in a pilot of SPEE3D technology. The Australian Army announced a similar program in February 2020 with a 12-month trial designed to test the feasibility of developing 3D metal printers both on base and in the field.
AIDN-NT Young Achievers Award
The winner of the Young Achievers award was Emily Prunnell from Aurecon.
As Project Delivery Service (PDS) Project Manager, Emily delivers a suite of services to advance Defence industry capability by developing and delivering a range of projects that meet the Defence Capability requirements.
- 2019 Minister’s Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry: Griffin Marine Services
- 2019 AIDN-NT Innovation Award: TUFWRAP
- 2019 AIDN-NT Young Achievers Award: Kerry Damen of Pattemore Constructions Pty Ltd
- 2018 Minister’s Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry: NT Port and Marine
- 2018 AIDN-NT Innovation Award: Evolving Workshop Technology
- 2017 Minister's Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry: North Track Machinery
- 2017 Special Recognition Award in the Defence Industry: Norship Marine
- 2017 Special Recognition Award in the Defence Industry: Savanna Alliance
- 2016 Minister's Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry: Crowhurst Engineering
- 2016 Special Recognition Award in the Defence Industry: Nilsen NT
- 2015 Minister's Award for Excellence in the Defence Industry: Coach Charters Australia
- 2015 Special Recognition Award in the Defence Industry: Crowhurst Engineering
- 2014 Minister's Award for Excellence: RGM Maintenance
- 2014 Special Recognition Award: Bulletproof NT Tactical Gear
- 2013 Minister's Award for Excellence: Northern Business Communications Pty Ltd (NBC)
- 2012 Minister's Award for Excellence: NT Welding
- 2012 Minister for Business's Defence Support Award: NT Marine Engineering & Electrical
- 2011 Minister's Award for Excellence: Hydraulink (NT) Pty Ltd
- 2011 Minister for Defence Support Award: Territory Surgical Supplies
- 2010 Minister's Award for Excellence: NT Medic Healthcare Agency
- 2010 Minister for Defence Support Award: RGM Maintenance Pty Ltd
- 2009 Minister's Award for Excellence: Fingers Specialised Metal Fabrication
- 2009 Minister for Defence Support Award: NT Welding
- 2009 Special Recognition Award: Coach Charters Australia